Nestled inside 1 000 hectares (2471 acres) of Africa’s last remaining dry sand forest lies Phinda Forest Lodge, one of the world’s first eco-designed luxury safari lodges. Only a 3-hour scenic road transfer from the Oyster Box or an hour and 1/2 transfer from Richards Bay Airport. You also have the option of flying direct to Phinda airstrip from Johannesburg via Nelspruit. It's easy to combine your Kwazulu Natal safari with the Oyster Box and Thonga Beach Lodge.
With its seven distinct habitats, Phinda Private Game Reserve is often described as ‘Seven Worlds of Wonder’, a magnificent tapestry of woodland, grassland, wetland and forest, interspersed with mountain ranges, rivers, marshes and pans. Showcasing one of the continent’s finest game viewing experiences, the reserve is home to Africa’s Big Five, as well as 436 bird species.
The award-winning Forest Lodge fuses architecture and conservation. The lodge was hand-built by local artisans, with a minimal footprint on the forest floor – not one tree was felled during construction. An exquisite contradiction, floor-to-ceiling glass walls invite the forest inside, while the dense tree canopy shelters and provides privacy. Floating on stilts above the forest floor, the 16 Zulu Zen suites blend harmoniously into the dappled shade.
Choose from a range of exciting Phinda Adventures:
• Specialist Walking and Tracking Safaris
• A sleep-out under the stars
• An infrared Night Eye drive
• Participative conservation experiences such as rhino notching or pangolin tagging
• Big 5 game drives with an experienced guide and tracker
Adventures outside of the reserve:
• Within easy access of the reserve are Zulu village tours
• Africa Foundation community visits
• a Maputaland exploration, Maputaland beach adventures, night turtle drives (seasonal), scuba safaris
• Or an incredible ocean safari that offers you a host of marine life sightings
• Specialist Safaris can be arranged in advance and focus on special interests such as birding, photographic, family and private safaris